Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is not typically my favorite day of the year. In fact, I usually start to dread it a couple weeks beforehand. As a single person, I have come to view the day as "Single Awareness Day" and nothing else. This year, I was hoping to avoid some of those feelings. I threw myself into preparing for my girls Bible study and thinking about how to make it special for them. Very unexpectedly I had a special moment yesterday that totally changed my perspective and actually allowed me to enjoy the day. I was debating whether or not to share this as it is a special moment shared with God. It's kind of like one of those intimate moments shared with a loved one. You just don't share those with everyone. But as I was reading my Bible this morning, I came across this verse, "Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops." This is Matthew 10:27. I knew this morning that I not only had permission to share this with friends, but that I was also to share it with my girls this evening. And that, I did. Okay, back to the story. I am driving to work Tuesday morning and it is freezing. I turn on my iPOD and click over to my Jars of Clay songs. In particular, I wanted to listen to one of my favorites, "Love Song for a Savior." I have loved that song for many years now. Anyway, I am singing along, when the chorus comes on, "I want to fall in love with you" and I begin praying those words. Its not that I don't love Jesus already, but I want to love Him more and I want to fall in love with Him all over again. So, I am singing along in my off-tune voice when I hear Him say, "I am already in love with you." At first, it didn't quite register, but then I realized that God was saying that to me. To me! I could hardly believe it. The God of the Universe, the Creator of all things was speaking into my heart not only that He loved me, but that He was in love with me. I felt the lump forming in my throat. The tears are welling in my eyes...and the song continues. Right as the words "and the tears will fall down and we'll pray" are sung a single tear rolls down my cheek. Now I am convinced! I am overwhelmed and overjoyed. Can you believe the sweetness of Jesus? To think that He would say this to me the day before Valentine's Day is just too much. How He knows our hearts and our minds and gives us just what we need. Needless to say my countenance was changed and I no longer gave into the dread of V-day. I honestly felt fine today and didn't even mind all the flowers, balloons, teddy bears, and chocolate displayed everywhere I went. I enjoyed the day secure in knowing that at least one Person loves me. And moreover, I was able to share this story with the girls and let them know that if God said this to me, He is saying it to them as well. How He loves them and cares for them and wants so much the best for them. I hope they heard that tonight - from Him. I heard it and I will never forget.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. His love for you and your love for Him are evident in your life.